Although the library is solely supported by the City of Temple, as a courtesy, anyone residing within Texas can obtain a free library card by providing a picture ID. Parents, guardians, or institutions must sign for children under 16. There is a $1.00 charge to replace a lost library card.
You may start the process of obtaining a library card by filling out the online application, found on the online catalog, homepage or by visiting the Circulation Department on the first floor of the Temple Public Library.
Adults will need a government issued identification card with their current address or a government issued identification card and proof of residency to obtain a library card. Acceptable forms of identification and proof of residency for adults are listed below.
Parents or legal guardians may open library cards for children under the age of 16 if:
- The child is present with them at the time of issuing a card, OR
- They provide some form of identification for the child at the time the card is issued.
Acceptable forms of identification for minors are listed below.
Institutions may open cards for adults or children in their charge or that utilize their facility; however, the institution will be required to take responsibility for any charges that the card incurs as a result of an individual’s use of that card. Institutions will need to provide an acceptable form of identification for the staff member that will oversee library cards utilized at their facility or by members of their facility.
- Video Permission: Individuals under the age of 16 will need a parent or legal guardian to give staff permission to allow child to check out movies.
- Internet Permission: Public Internet access is available to individuals over the age of 16. Parents, guardians, or institutions that open cards on a minor’s behalf can choose to give permission for children under the age of 16 to have Internet access on a Temple Public Library public access computer.
Acceptable Forms of Identification for Adults
- Government Issued Driver’s License
- State Identification Card
- Matriculation Card
- School Issued ID
Acceptable Forms of Identification for Minors
- Physical Presence (when accompanying their parent/guardian)
- Birth Certificate
- Report Card / School Records (with photos)
- Photo ID
Acceptable Forms of Proof of Residency
- Any government issued Photo ID
- Voter Registration
- Utility Bill
- Lease or Mortgage
- Mail received within in the last 30 days
- Report Cards / School Records (with photos)