Rock & Read
If you are looking for in-person programming for your little one and you, be sure to check out our Story Time page.
Local Resources Map
Websites for New Parents
- American College of Obstetrics and Gynecologists
Important information on postpartum depression.
- Baby Sign Language
Tips for getting started and an extensive illustrated dictionary of signs.
- The Bump
Teach your baby to communicate before they are able to speak with baby sign language.
- Healthy Children
American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and its member pediatricians dedicate their efforts and resources to the health, safety and well-being of infants, children, adolescents and young adults.
- La Leche League International
Breastfeeding resources and advocacy
- Parent to Parent USA
Empowering and supporting parents of children with special needs
Free resources to maximize children’s motor, sensory, and communication development
- Zero to Three
Supporting infants and toddlers in having a strong start in life and reaching their full potential
Early Literacy Tips, Resources, and ProgramsWhen sharing books with babies and toddlers:
- Make it fun! Reading together strengthens the parent-child bond, and children who are read to are more likely to seek out books as they grow.
- A few minutes at a time is beneficial. Young children can sit still for short periods of time, and it’s okay if you don’t finish the story.
- Let your child handle books and turn the pages. Board books are durable and easier for little hands to manipulate.
- Share books by talking about the pictures.
- Point to the words as you read them.
- Use voices for the different characters in the story to help keep your child engaged.
- Talk to your child about the story, and ask them to tell you about it.
- Make reading a part of your daily routine. Nap time, bedtime, meal times, and waiting at the doctor’s office are all great times for sharing books.
- Board Books
- Picture Books
- Parenting Books and Magazines
- Playaway Kits
- Children's and Family DVD's
- Spanish Language and Bilingual Books
- ABC Mouse
Learn how to read with ABCmouse, the award-winning reading app for kids ages 2 - 8. Inspire you child to love learning and build confidence in reading, math, and more! (only available in Library)
Join us online for reading challenges for all ages!
We are excited to introduce cloudLibrary – the new feature-packed app that makes it easier than ever to borrow, organize, and return your library items. Check out eBooks, eAudiobooks, comic books, and more straight from your computer, phone, or tablet. Use the link above to find the download links so you can start reading or listening today!
- Virtual library card: never leave your card at home again. Your virtual library card in the cloudLibrary app can do everything your physical card can do – except take up space in your wallet. And the best part? You can load the whole family’s cards into cloudLibrary and easily switch between accounts.
- Interactive receipts: say goodbye to lost receipts and cluttered inboxes. cloudLibrary provides you with a digital receipt right within the app. The receipt allows you to view recently borrowed items, favorite items (great for recommending a read to a friend), check due dates, and even get return reminders.
- My Book Bag: pack it all up – almost effortlessly. Great for families who check out (and need to return) multiple items at once, My Book Bag is a handy checklist of borrowed materials. Pack it up, check it off, and finally get ALL of your materials returned in one trip.
- Customize your cloudLibrary: reading is fun – so is this app. Create your own avatar, choose a theme, and curate notifications, so you get the information you want just the way you want it. (Library Card required)
- E-Read Texas: Apple/iOS Download | Google Play Download
E-Read Texas brings electronic books to Texans served by small community libraries in all parts of the state. E-Read Texas provides library e-books and an e-reader application that make it possible for all Texans served by public libraries to access e-books.
- Tumble Books
TumbleBookLibrary is a curated database of children’s e-books with over 1100 titles for grades K-6, and includes our unique animated, talking picture books, read-along chapter books, National Geographic videos, non-fiction books, playlists, as well as books in Spanish and French. Plus, the collection features Graphic Novels – a student favorite!
Visit our TexShare database page to find resource like CREDO Reference, Explora, Middle Search Plus, and Primary Search. This database is accessible while in the Library but requires a username and password if you use it off-site. Stop by the Youth Services Desk to get the login information so you can use these resources at home.