Rock & Read
If you are looking for in-person programming for your little one and you, be sure to check out our Story Time page.
Local Resources Map
Websites for New Parents
- American College of Obstetrics and Gynecologists
Important information on postpartum depression.
- Baby Sign Language
Tips for getting started and an extensive illustrated dictionary of signs.
- The Bump
Teach your baby to communicate before they are able to speak with baby sign language.
- Healthy Children
American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) and its member pediatricians dedicate their efforts and resources to the health, safety and well-being of infants, children, adolescents and young adults.
- La Leche League International
Breastfeeding resources and advocacy
- Parent to Parent USA
Empowering and supporting parents of children with special needs
Free resources to maximize children’s motor, sensory, and communication development
- Zero to Three
Supporting infants and toddlers in having a strong start in life and reaching their full potential
Early Literacy Tips, Resources, and ProgramsWhen sharing books with babies and toddlers:
- Make it fun! Reading together strengthens the parent-child bond, and children who are read to are more likely to seek out books as they grow.
- A few minutes at a time is beneficial. Young children can sit still for short periods of time, and it’s okay if you don’t finish the story.
- Let your child handle books and turn the pages. Board books are durable and easier for little hands to manipulate.
- Share books by talking about the pictures.
- Point to the words as you read them.
- Use voices for the different characters in the story to help keep your child engaged.
- Talk to your child about the story, and ask them to tell you about it.
- Make reading a part of your daily routine. Nap time, bedtime, meal times, and waiting at the doctor’s office are all great times for sharing books.
- Board Books
- Picture Books
- Parenting Books and Magazines
- Playaway Kits
- Children's and Family DVD's
- Spanish Language and Bilingual Books
- ABC Mouse
Learn how to read with ABCmouse, the award-winning reading app for kids ages 2 - 8. Inspire you child to love learning and build confidence in reading, math, and more!
Join us online for reading challenges for all ages!
- E-Read Texas: Apple/iOS Download | Google Play Download
E-Read Texas brings electronic books to Texans served by small community libraries in all parts of the state. E-Read Texas provides library e-books and an e-reader application that make it possible for all Texans served by public libraries to access e-books.
- Tumble Books
TumbleBookLibrary is a curated database of children’s e-books with over 1100 titles for grades K-6, and includes our unique animated, talking picture books, read-along chapter books, National Geographic videos, non-fiction books, playlists, as well as books in Spanish and French. Plus, the collection features Graphic Novels – a student favorite!
Visit our TexShare database page to find resource like CREDO Reference, Explora, Middle Search Plus, and Primary Search. This database is accessible while in the Library but requires a username and password if you use it off-site. Stop by the Youth Services Desk to get the login information so you can use these resources at home.